Hello! I’m back from a lovely summer. You can read a little bit about it in my latest post at Girls Heart Books, and check out my Chicklish roundup of some of the book I read while I was away.
Other snippets of news…
Diary of a Mall Girl, the book originally written interactively in instalments for Fiction Express, is set to be published as a print book and an ebook by Curious Fox in spring 2013. Find out more about it at my Diary of a Mall Girl page and, of course, at Curious Fox.
Random House have launched a new website called Totally Random Books. It has competitions and author features, and you can look up all sorts of books there, read extracts and leave reviews. Here’s a page of my Totally Random Books.
Kiss Date Love Hate was reviewed recently by Stuck in a Book, and also as part of Contemporary Summer at Planet Print. Thank you, brilliant bloggers!
Dawlish Community College LRC
Just before the summer holidays, I was delighted to be invited to Dawlish Community College to give out certificates to wonderful keen readers. (Read about their Accelerated Reading programme – and party! And spot me wearing green in the picture.)
I think that’s all for now…
Newton Abbot Library, where I used to help run the Teenage Flicks book club, has just re-opened. Read all about it at the PRSD.
Spotted on the shiny new shelves of the Teenage section and pictured below: one of the books chosen by the students of Newton Abbot College and Coombeshead Academy. (Thank you!)
In other news, I’ve recently posted at Girls Heart Books about writers’ reasons to make lists, and at A Book Addicted Girl about recommended reading for summertime.
Also I highly recommend checking out The Pink Thing at Luna’s Little Library. This site is looking at various books that have pink covers (including Kiss Date Love Hate) and finding out what lies beyond the pink…
(Photos by People’s Republic of South Devon, reproduced with kind permission under Creative Commons Licence.)
I was thrilled to be interviewed at Newton Abbot College by a student called Natalia, who asked me some great questions about my books and about writing life. Huge thanks to Natalia and also to Ms Slade and Mr Abiks.
Watch the interview below.
Luisa Plaja at Newton Abbot College from I Abiks on Vimeo.
Filmed & edited by Ivor Abiks
I’ve just found a lovely writeup of my World Book Day 2012 visit to Torquay Community College.
Huge thanks to all the wonderful students and staff!
Extreme Kissing is now an audiobook!
It’s published by W H Howes and is available there and at Whole Story Audio, among other places.
Buy it with instant download at Audible in the UK or Audible in the US.
Find out more in the W H Howes catalogue, and listen to an extract below.
Extreme Kissing audiobook extract:
Bethany’s story is narrated by Harriet Carmichael, who also read Kiss Date Love Hate, and Carlota’s part is narrated by Jo Hall. Read more about these fabulous actors here.
There’s a lovely review of Kiss Date Love Hate written by a young reader in the Guardian: Guardian teen book reviews.
“It is so unique, and such an amazing plot, that I was gripped throughout the whole book…”
And Booktrust has reviewed Swapped by a Kiss and Kiss Date Love Hate.
“Exciting, funny and filled with great characters, Swapped By a Kiss will keep you entertained right until the very last page.”
[Kiss Date Love Hate] “…a revealing and poignant story about individuality, trust and friendship.”
Thank you very much to Booktrust and the Guardian!
Meanwhile, I’ve been posting at the Random House blog about my book signing, and telling Girls Heart Books all about my computer nightmare.
I had a busy World Book Day this year, with a great visit to Newton Abbot College. (See their gorgeous display in the picture!)
It’s my fourth year in a row of visiting NAC on World Book Day, with my first visit being the publication day of Split by a Kiss. It’s practically a tradition…
Read more about the day in the Herald Express.
The next day, I went to Torquay Community College to talk to a group of students about writing and blogging. We had a brilliant time creating characters and discussing books.
Saturday was my book signing at Waterstone’s in Newton Abbot, where I chatted to some fantastic readers.
Thank you very much to all the wonderful students, teachers, readers, bloggers, staff and shoppers I’ve met in the past week!
Come and say hello to me at Waterstone’s Newton Abbot on Saturday 3rd March from 12pm…
In honour of National Libraries Day, I spent a great morning in a writing workshop with a Year 7 class at Coombeshead Academy. Find out more about what we worked on in my post at Girls Heart Books, and see me pictured in the Herald Express.
Herald Express article.
Kiss Date Love Hate is now available in WHSmith and Waterstone’s, and it’s shipping from Amazon and The Book Depository. Look out for its pinkness!
The Kindle e-book and all other e-book formats including Kobo e-book are available right now, and the audiobook has just been released on CD.
I’ve been busy writing guest posts and answering interview questions…
Here’s a roundup of the posts and interviews so far:
Kiss Date Love Hate reviews:
- I Want To Read That – “Another brilliant, funny, sweet and magical story from Luisa Plaja. I completely fell in love with it!” Read the full review at I Want To Read That.”
- So Many Books, So Little Time – “Kiss Date Love Hate is funny, fresh and smart…” Read the full review at So Many Books, So Little Time.
- The Beaucoup Review – “…this book was amazing.” Read the full review at The Beaucoup Review.
- Books, Bonnets and Full-Frontal Blogging – “Romantic comedy + cool sci-fi idea + a touch of seriousness to make you think = about a million thumbs up from me.” Read the review and more at Liz Bankes’s blog.
- Jess Hearts Books – “I loved this tale of finding love where you least expect it and would definitely recommend it to anyone who appreciates warm, funny, contemporary romance for teens.” Read the full review at Jess Hearts Books.
- Books4Teens “…characters so full of life that I felt like they could start walking off the page and start talking to me…. a fast paced, addictive read…” Read the full review at Books4Teens.
- Juniper’s Jungle – “I’m going to be recommending it to anyone who’ll listen.” Read the full review at Juniper’s Jungle.
- Book Angel Booktopia – “Luisa has a knack of creating utterly realistic and believable characters…” Read the full review at Book Angel Booktopia.
- Cicely Loves Books – “Kiss Date Love Hate was an adorable, slightly nerdy, lovely book full of laughs and love and a properly realistic British teen narrative.” Read the full review at Cicely Loves Books.
- Readaraptor – “Kiss, Date, Love, Hate is a book which will make people laugh out loud, shout out loud and love forever…” Read the full review at Readaraptor.
- Serendipity Reviews – “…funny, warm and extremely entertaining…” Read the full review at Serendipity Reviews.
- Fluttering Butterflies – “I loved every minute I spent with this book and had a huge grin on my face throughout.” Read the full review at Fluttering Butterflies.
Thank you to all the wonderful people who have hosted me on their blogs and taken the time to read and write about my book, I appreciate it so much!
I’ll be updating this post with more links as they come in. Please check back!